Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 2

       Sorry about not posting yesterday; it's day 3 of my training week and I am SOOO sore from day 1 and 2. The second day of training was dedicated to long-distance running and complemented with boxing and shoulder prehab. It is the rest day that gets in some cardio and sures up the shoulders. In any sport, especially rugby and football, the shoulders are very vulnerable. Two years ago, almost to the day, I tore the labarum in my left shoulder; I had to get surgery and go through therapy for 4 months....awful. The worst setback I have ever experienced; however I did everything right and came back to finish out the football season, against the will of my surgeon haha. The point is to treat your shoulders with respect; you get out what you put in. Beef those babies up and strengthen the little muscles of the rotator cuff.
       The best thing I did for my shoulders after football was boxing. Through boxing I gained the confidence and coordination back in my left arm and maintained almost all of my strength without touching a weight. It is a great exercise for both strength and conditioning, and that is why I will always incorporate it into my workout routines. Plus if push comes to shove, you have a pretty powerful right hook in your pocket.
      Shoulder prehab is a great way to prevent injury to your rotator cuff and labarum. It is a series of exercises that strengthen the stabilizing muscles inside of your shoulders. By doing several exercises like L,T,Y, and W lateral raises lying on a bosu ball or bench, you really strengthen those muscles in the backs of your shoulders. The key to all of these is clenching your shoulder blades together and pulling them back and down, helping to create good posture and muscle-recruitment patterns.
      Lastly, cardio is just plain good for you; I think running is the best because your an athlete. No eliptisizing or I might have to puke; this isn't the Jersey shore (no offense if you are from there haha). Like the nike commercials say, "ATHLETES RUN". There is no getting around running if you are trying to be the best in your sport, so like the my squatting advice, grow a sack (although you might want to restrain it in compression shorts) and run.

Mariusz Pudzianowski World Strongest Man MMA FIGHT - The funniest bloopers are right here







E84FF49JUYQT

No comments:

Post a Comment