Thursday, May 6, 2010

The First Post: Creating a New Base

Since it is the summer and off-season for most contact athletes, the next few months that introduce my blog will be dedicated to getting ready for the fall. I am a second-year college rugby player with my background in football, but I played pretty much every sport growing up. I have gained 25 pounds in a three months for football, lost 20 pounds in a month and a half for volleyball, increased my squat by one hundred pounds in 4 months, and done similar for others. I encourage you, my new fan base, to read and comment on my posts, give me your feedback, and never give up on achieving your goals whether on or off the field.
Being a player of a contact sport takes a different mindset than anything else on this earth, and that mindset is the most important key to your team's success. This mindset will bring you to your knees while training, bring you to your feet after failing, and bring you to victory when playing. This drive, this inner voice that compells you to conquer your fears, this motivation to defeat your opponent, to instill fear in his heart by overcoming the fear in yours, will lead you. Sacrificing your time and energy, your glory, and sometimes your safety creates this thrill and satisfaction that nothing else can give. Being able to look your teammate in the eye and think, "He and I both know that I give it my all both on and off the field." This is what I want to bring you, my reader. Starting your training with these things in mind is crucial to your ultimate success because this drive won't let you skip a day, drop a weight, or stop short. What I will be sharing with you over the next few months can give you the off-the-field preparation to be able to give it all in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment